A Japanese person born overseas is still Japanese. In the Japanese language they are called Nisei or Sansei, or otherwise, depending on how many generations removed from Japan they are. A Taiwanese person born overseas is called “American,”even though there is a word for overseas-born: ch’iao-sheng (僑生).

In this way, Japanese are inclusive, Taiwanese are exclusive.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s